How far did you get with the answers to the quiz? Here is the solution and I hope it all works!
- Bus routes from Poole and their destinations.
- Four Marys: Mary Anning (fossil hunter) / Lady Mary Bankes (defender of Corfe Castle) / Mary Llewellin (first female mayor of Poole) / Mary Spencer Watson (sculptor of Dunshay).
- Inaccurate place names: Isle of Purbeck (not an island) / Maiden Castle (not a castle) / Luckford lake (not a lake) / Nine Barrow Down (has more than 9 barrows).
- Shopping centres: Castlepoint / Dolphin Centre / Sovereign Centre / Brewery Square.
- Christopher Spurrier, 1816 (owners of Upton House in reverse date order).
- Crawford (Tarrant villages in sequence eg. Tarrant Rawston, Tarrant Rushton etc.).
- Falkland Square (eg.) (Places and buildings named after national events in successive centuries).
- Picture of house boat (eg.) (Market Street / Street light / Lighthouse / House ?).
- GORSE DODDER LING BRACKEN (heathland plants)
- THICKFURZE HAM HAVEN TOTTENHAM (old forms of local place names: Heckford, Hamworthy, Sandbanks, Tatnam).
- FLAKE JIGGER QUINTAL TRAIN (Newfoundland salt-cod trade terms: a flake was a platform for drying cod, a jigger was a weighted fish hook, a quintal was a measure of salt fish, about a hundredweight and train was train oil or cod liver oil.
- WOOD POUND HENGIST BAD (add …bury to get four ancient sites, Woodbury, Poundbury etc.)
- Mottos: Who’s Afear’d? / Ad Morem Villae de Poole / Pulchritudo et Salubritas / For Fidelity and Freedom.
- Live entertainment: The air show / Poole Pirates / Beach polo / Boo Bamboo.
- Reading matter: Daily Echo / (A) good book / Poole Advertiser / social media.
- Poole pub crawl: Angel / Butler and Hops / Bermuda Triangle / Blue Boar.
Did you find the Christmas quiz ridiculously easy or fiendishly hard? I must say that by the time it was compiled I no longer had any idea which it might be. Anyway, I have had notification from the Chief Christmas Quiz Wizard that I must issue some clues to help anyone whose quizzing faculties have been weakened by turkey, pudding, chocolate or alcoholic beverages. So here are the clues and in line with the pantomime season they are of course in rhyme. Sorry about that!
- My connections to unravel
- Choose a public form of travel.
- Try the shops in each location.
- Give four ladies admiration,
- But these local places rated
- You might find not quite as stated.
- Sequences their clues deliver
- Following the winding river,
- Old events commemorated,
- Owners of a mansion, dated,
- Phrases over-lapped deduced
- And the final clue produced.
- In the wall, four names discover
- And their modern forms recover.
- All around, four more are growing
- With some salt-cod terms worth knowing.
- Use the final four remaining –
- Bury-ed, ancient sites obtaining.
Enlightened or further mystified? Some or all answers to Jenny at email@example.com . Answers will be supplied next week. Happy New Year.
Once again it’s time for you to rack your brains on our Christmas quiz (but not as much as I’ve racked mine trying to compile it!). Glory, and maybe a little prize as well, awaits anyone who can come up with a correct solution, so why not have a go between the Christmas festivities? Answers will be released in January.
Connections – Can you resolve these local clues and say what connects them?
- Kinson 14 / Bournemouth 16 / Lytchett Matravers 10 / Bournemouth 32
- M. A., hunter / M. B., defender / M. L., mayor / M. S-W., artist
- Isle of Purbeck / Maiden Castle / Luckford Lake / Nine Barrow Down
Sequences – Three clues: what should come next and why?
- Poole Corporation 1961 / Llewellin 1901 / Doughty 1828 / ?
- Rawston / Rushton / Keyneston / ?
- 17th – Royal Oak Tavern / 18th – Port Mahon Castle Inn / 19th – Waterloo Road / ?
Connecting wall – Can you sort the words into 4 groups and say what connects the words in each group?
Missing vowels – Identify the words or phrases by replacing the missing vowels.
- Mottos: WHS FRD / DMR MVL LDPL / PLCH RTDTS LBRTS / FRF DLT YNDF RDM
- Live entertainment: THRS HW / PLP RTS / BCHPL / BBMB
- Reading matter: DL YCH / GDBK / PLD VRT SR / SC LMD
- Poole pub crawl: NGL / BTL RN DHPS / BRM DTRN GL / BLBR
Good luck and have a happy Christmas. Jenny